Saturday, December 29, 2012

Unspeakable Joy

The word 'JOY' is often thrown around and reflected upon more around the holiday season. We think of happiness, simplicity, and peace as being factors of joy. However, there is something we experience as Christ-followers that succeeds all earthly understanding of joy. I am referring to unspeakable joy. The kind that overwhelms and satisfies your soul. I literally cannot explain this in words. Even as I was thinking of a blog topic, I realized that I probably would not be satisfied with a post about this joy because it comes across as entirely too warm-n-fuzzy. Sometimes the power of words is so weak when they are describing something so strong. My challenge to you is to not take these words at face-value. Doing that will only dilute the message I wish to share. Please think about this joy in your own life. What triggered it? The Holy Spirit fascinates me; when I can experience something so tangible and real and breathtaking, I am filled with joy.  Sometimes it's the 'PTL' (Praise the Lord) reaction, where I just can't stop praising with my words. Other times, it's the quiet, teary, soft moments when I am overcome by God's grace and love. Reading and praying over scripture is also a way God can quiet us to discern His joy. These are only to name a few. I pray that you have known this joy. As I said, there are hardly words to describe accurately. Psalm 139:23-24 says "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Speaking personally, there is nothing more freeing than completely surrendering and being known. Especially by God. The joy that comes solely from that is divine. 

I hope this has honestly provoked you to think about where your 'joy' is being derived from. Keep your eyes open and set on Him. 

Also, feel free to suggest new post topics in the comments below, I'd love to hear from my readers!

-Brittney


No comments:

Post a Comment