Monday, May 14, 2012

Slumber-wake on up and love.

It's pretty well-known to my friends that my favorite band of all time is Needtobreathe. I love their lyrics, unique sound, talent, and maybe how they rock skinny jeans. Anyway, they have a song titled 'Slumber' and it contains some great lines I was thinking about and I thought I'd share.

"Tongues are violent
Personal and focused
Tough to beat with
Your steady mind
But hearts are stronger after broken
So, wake on up from your slumber
Baby, open up your eyes"

The truth and conviction in these words are incredible. To me, the idea of a tongue being 'violent, personal and focused, tough to beat with your steady mind' has come to light recently. The words we say are hurtful, a lot of times because we want them to be so. It makes the situation way more complicated to sort out with a rational, steady mind because your heart is aching and emotion usually trumps logic. But the next line is what gets me, 'hearts are stronger after broken.' Think of the times of hardship in your life, whether it involves relationships, family, school, or work, after the issue is resolved you walk away knowing how to at least get through if not handle it. You earn stories, emotion, connection, and most of all, new strength. I've had this happen many times in my life, and relying on Jesus to BE my strength showed me that indeed, my heart is stronger after broken. And although this may sound like an abstract or simple idea, let it be an encouragement to get through difficulties with a positive, upward looking attitude. Also, flee from hurting others with your words, it's not fair, despite what they have done to you. Being unburdened and positive doesn't make you vulnerable, it helps you open up your eyes.

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment," Philippians 1:9 ESV

**Also, check out the song 'Slumber' on YouTube or iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment